Funeral set for Lebanon High grad adds to 2018 Wilson County teen shooting deaths

The Hillsboro Globe is a student-written and managed online Associated Press Newspaper. Ending gun violence is a community problem and therefore will occasionally be the subject of our headlines.

Services are scheduled Friday for a 2018 Lebanon High School graduate and member of College Hills Church of Christ who died after he was shot on Sunday, according to police.

Cameron Sean Luke Griffith, 19, is the most recent teenager killed in Wilson County from suspected gunfire in recent months. Griffith was driven to a Discount Tobacco store on North Cumberland Street, confronted by multiple people and then shot, according to statements made to police.

Mt. Juliet High School student JayShawn Taylor, 16, died after he was shot on Nov. 15, around the 200 block NW Clearview Drive in Wilson County, according to police. A 15-year-old was arrested in the case.

Jacob Ethan Doughten, 19, and a 15-year-old boy were both killed from gunfire on April 15, at a Pilot gas station on Murfreesboro Road in Lebanon, which investigators believe occurred during a robbery attempt as multiple people met for a drug transaction.

Griffith wanted to enlist in the Navy this spring, according to his older brother Brantly Cox, 30. Music, video games and the Dallas Cowboys were all interests for Griffith, his brother said.

“He had the biggest heart of anyone I’ve ever known,” Cox said. “He’d always help me with stuff, whether it was something small like putting a bed together for one of my kids … He was easygoing, laid back. He’d help anyone, he had the best heart.”

Lebanon police have not released further information on Griffith’s death or announced any suspects.

A $1,000 reward is offered to anyone with information that leads to the conviction of anyone involved in the shooting, according to the department’s Facebook page.

Visitation for Griffith will be 2-7 p.m., Friday at the Ligon & Bobo Funeral Home, 241 W. Main Street, Lebanon. The funeral service is scheduled immediately after at 7 p.m., also at the Ligon & Bobo Funeral Home.

A private interment will be at Cedar Grove Cemetery.

Three suspects are charged in the case.