The Student News Site of Hillsboro High School

The Hillsboro Globe

The Hillsboro Globe

The Hillsboro Globe

Player Spotlight- Kyle Hicks Long snapper

Kyle Hicks is rated a 4 star, 4-year varsity starter at Hillsboro High school. He is the long snapper and tight end. The long snapper is a unique position, instead of a regular center the long snapper snaps it either 7 or 15 yards to the punter or the kicker depending on what is needed. The long snapper is a unique position in the fact that there is only one on the field and is only used a couple times each game so it’s a rare position but very vital. If the snap gets messed up it could be the difference between a missed field goal and a made one which could change the outcome of the game completely.  It is one of the most underappreciated positions, but it is one of the most important positions at the same time. One of the reasons Kyle is getting recruited is because of how fast his snaps are and how quickly he gets down the field to down the punt or tackle the returner.

In a recent interview with Kyle, he was asked about playing football in college, Kyle said that he does plan to play in college. He is getting scouted by a few colleges, like TSU and Kentucky Wesleyan University. Recently Kyle attended a visit to Kentucky Wesleyan University, he said that the coaches are cool, and that “the recruiting process has been good, and a fun memory.” He has gotten in contact with a lot of coaches this offseason, his dream college is University of Tennessee Knoxville. His favorite memory of playing football at Hillsboro is the summer of senior year, hanging out with friends and getting a better bond with the other seniors on the team.

You may not notice him during the games, but Kyle is a vital member of the Hillsboro football team. His ability to snap the ball is like no other and he has the speed to get down the field and cover plays is incredible. Next time you are at any football game make sure you look for the long snapper and the rare skill set it requires.