The Student News Site of Hillsboro High School

The Hillsboro Globe

The Hillsboro Globe

The Hillsboro Globe

Struggling to Manage Holiday Stress? – Here are some helpful tips

The Holidays can be Incredibly stressful for many Americans. Picture: Shutterstock

For some, the winter season is filled with joy and wonder. Though, for many others, it is filled with dread and stress. Nearly half of Americans say that stress has interfered with their ability to enjoy the holidays. The stress can seem unbearable at times. While you can’t remove stress from your life entirely mental health experts have some tips to help mitigate the stress of the holidays.

Take Time for Yourself

When you’re running around doing this and that for everyone, it’s important to remember to take care of yourself. Whether it’s a spa day or just laying down and binging a TV show, it’s important to make sure to have some ‘you time’. As the American Psychological Association puts it “All of us need some time to recharge our batteries”.

Be Willing to Say No

It is important to recognize what you can and can’t do. Filling your agenda with countless events and task can be incredibly overwhelming. It is ok to decline things and prioritize the events and people that are most important to you.

Don’t Try to Make Everything Perfect

Keep in mind you can’t make everything perfect. Whether you classify yourself as a perfectionist or not, accepting imperfection can take a massive load off your shoulders and help you focus on the things that matter. “It’s OK if it’s not perfect. Imperfection is healthy and normal. For some of us, it might just take a little practice,” says Dr. Neda Goul from John Hopkins Medicine.

Create a Relaxing Space

It is important to keep your spaces relaxing to reduce stress. Play music or let in some sunlight. According to Mayo Clinic “Research has found that listening to music and the scent of citrus can boost feelings of well-being, and vitamin D is always a happiness booster”. Even when things do get overwhelming a change in your space can do a lot to mitigate those feelings.

Talk About How You Feel

It can be helpful to just sit down and talk about how you are feeling with a family member or friend. Whether its sadness, frustration, or just plain stress being open with your feelings is a great first step to being able to manage them.

Whether you’re planning elaborate celebrations or a small gathering this holiday season these tips can be incredibly helpful in managing your stress levels this December. Destressing allows us to focus on what is really important during the holidays and actually enjoy the festivities.