The Student News Site of Hillsboro High School

The Hillsboro Globe

The Hillsboro Globe

The Hillsboro Globe

Do you have to beat the champion to be the champion?

South Africa’s First UFC Championship names a champion in Canada
Rights Reserved-Hillsboro Globe; Associated Press Canadian Press/Shutterstock
Mandatory Credit: Photo by Canadian Press Dricus Du Plessis celebrates after defeating Sean Strickland in a middleweight title bout at UFC 297 in Toronto on Sunday, January 21, 2024. Mma-Ufc-297, Toronto, Canada – 20 Jan 2024

Dricus Du Plessis is South Africa’s first and only UFC Middleweight Champion to date, with his win over the United States Sean Strickland at UFC 297 in Toronto, Canada this past January 20th.

Dricus du Plessis Octagon Interview | UFC 297

His victory came with controversy though, with many -even the UFC’s CEO Dana White- saying that Strickland was the clear winner of the bout, winning most of the rounds in their opinion. Typically in combat sports the age-old phrase, “You have to beat the champ to be the champ” is thrown into the conversation. This means that when it comes to close fights with an unclear victor, the champion should retain their title. This was not the case for Strickland. This is MMA though, not boxing. Du Plessis changed the dynamic of the fight, he implemented takedowns and variety in his striking in contrast to Strickland who wanted to stay on his feet and only showed off his ability to hand-fight along with refusing to grapple.

Many argued that Du Plessis didn’t have the résumé for a title fight but after a stunning TKO victory over well-known title gatekeeper Robert Whittaker in July 2023, with an undefeated six-fight win streak in the UFC, Du Plessis was lined up for whatever fight he wanted. Du Plessis wanted Adesanya though, not Strickland. Unfortunately, Adesanya retired shortly after losing the belt to Strickland, saying he would return in 2027. Regardless, Du Plessis still called out Adesanya shortly after his win, making him the second one to do so since Adesanya’s retirement.

In a heartwarming turn of events, Dricus flew back from Toronto to Johannesburg, South Africa belt in hand to a bustling crowd of natives anticipating the champ’s arrival. Many cheered and followed their new champion as he held the belt triumphantly above his head. Despite all of the controversy involving his victory, Dricus Du Plessis is the first ever South African UFC Middleweight Champion.