Burros kicked off a new school year with a street side bash full of food, music and fun

The Burro Bash was a smash Sunday!

Sunday, August 12th, Hillsboro High school hosted the Green Hills community, the school’s parents, faculty and students for their annual Burro Bash to kick off the 2017-2018 school year.

Throughout the two hour party that took place on the front lawn that borders Hillsboro Pike were performances from the Hillsboro players, the renown theater troupe that just returned from a summer trip to London, the school’s cheerleaders, marching band, and the Hillsboro Singers.

It was a fun filled day for all who came. Along with live performances, parents and students had a chance to meet representatives from school organization representing academic academies to honor societies. There was live music from Dad’s Band,  food trucks, booths for families to meet with school booster programs and even the live mascot burros were on hand for the youngsters to get a up-close look.

Hillsboro “Burros” at the Burro Bash were a huge hit with the young and old. They can be seen at home games. (Photo credit – Angel Powell)

Hillsboro is an open zoned school and many of the school’s student body travels from out of zone to participate in one of the 4 academic academies: Academy of Global Health Sciences, Freshman Academy,  International Baccalaureate programs or the International Business and Communications Academy.

“About 45% of our students come from out of the district.” This is what Dr. Kenyae Reese said Sunday at the Burro Bash. She also stated that “ The Burro Bash is an opportunity for families, parents and other students, to see some of the offerings we have at the school. It forms a welcoming community” for our parents.

The Bash held from 4 pm to 6 pm in the afternoon is a Hillsboro tradition arranged and organized by the parent organization the PTSO which is very involved in the school activities at Hillsboro. Pam Richardson, an English teacher at Hillsboro, who has taught there 31 years, had a lot to say about the changes that have happened at Hillsboro since she started working here stating “Our School has changed in so many ways!” But, says Hillsboro has always maintained their academic goals. The Burro Bash is a chance for all parents and new students to check out all of the academic opportunities available.

It brings everybody together; the culture and environment. It’s just good to have people from all walks of life here to celebrate the start of the new school year

— Dr. Mull, AGHS Principal

Dr. Kawania Mull is the principal for the Academy of Global Health Sciences at Hillsboro High School stated the Burro Bash is great because ” it brings everybody together; the culture and environment.  It’s just good to have  people from all walks of life here to celebrate the start of the new school year.”

With everything happening at Hillsboro High School this year it sure to be a great one!

Students and faculty are excited about the great happenings coming up in school this year. Make sure to stay tuned for more news from the  Hillsboro Globe regarding construction, sports, and transitions from old to the new traditions to come.

Hillsboro Marching Band to hold car wash fundraiser

The Hillsboro Globe • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in