The Burros test run game schemes in pre-season scrimmage against La Vergne Thursday

Hillsboro plays at Hillwood on the first Friday of school for the 49th Annual Metro Jamboree and opens the following Friday at Brentwood Academy

MNPS doesn’t open its doors to students for another 10 days, but that did not stop a throng of eager football fans from coming out to cheer on the Hillsboro Burros Thursday when the football team scrimmaged La Vergne in a pre-season game.

Both teams had a chance to test out offensive and defensive schemes, make adjustments and analyze the chemistry of players. Though a clock wasn’t run, there was no denying the  amped up intensity by both teams because it had the feel of a real game.

Parents of the Quarterback Club in attendance, fully set up with a tent stocked with jerseys and t-shirts, shorts and other fan gear to sell to fans. The whole afternoon felt more like a actual game than a practice with another team.

Hillsboro tested its run and pass game and saw success with two long rushes for touchdowns out scoring the Wolverines 12-0. The Hillsboro’s Joseph Honeysucker led the Burro’s with 4 tackles and LaVergne’s #32 led the Wolverine’s defense with 5 tackles.

Save The Date – the 49th Annual Metro Football Jamboree

Fans of high school football will save the dates August 10 – 12 to attend the three day event that is the longest continuously held high school football event held in the mid-state area.

The Metro Football Jamboree enters its 49th year of play matching teams for teams for 2 quarters of play over three nights and three locations. What makes the Metro Jamboree so much fun is that teams who do not normally get a chance to play each other due to their regional classification have a chance to compete against each other as they once did when the Nashville Interscholastic League once was the oversight organization for local football.

Metro Jamboree Schedule

Hillsboro High School Varsity Football Schedule

Maurice Fitzgerald Brief Bio

Age: 61
High school: Hume-Fogg (1971-74)
Coaching career:
1981-84: Assistant at Pearl-Cohn
1985-89: Assistant at Hillsboro
1990-05: Coach at Pearl-Cohn (124-82)
2010-13: Coach at Smithson-Craighead Academy (non-competitive)
2014: Assistant at Overton
2015-16: Coach at Stratford (19-5)
Career record: 143-87

Tennessee Titans host 2nd Annual High School Media Days

The Hillsboro Globe • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in