Lady Burros win District 11-4A and are ready for Region 6AAAA play

February 19

Kamil Washum Photo: Margo Jenkins

BRENTWOOD­, TN – Hillsboro High School’s Lady Burros basketball team beat the Brentwood Lady Bruins 35 to 34 in the District 11-4A Championship and advance to play Friday, February 25, 2022 at the TSSAA Region 6 – 4A quarter-final game against 4 seed Independence High School  be  held at Summit High School. Game start time is 5:00 p.m.

Winning a championship, be it at the district, region or state level is always exciting. It is even more exciting to win with a perfectly executed buzzer-beater.  Down by 1 point with 12 seconds left on the clock the Lady Burros took down the house. Kimora Lockett’s assist to Latisha Parris’s stunning reverse lay-up, hook shot ran the right number of seconds off the clock leaving Brentwood only four seconds to travel the distance of the court in hopes of making their own buzzer-beater. Their attempt didn’t have a chance and the Lady Burro’s crowd earned  the Hillsboro Globe’s 6th man award contributing a barrage of noise that was deafening by the end of the game. Parris’s tournament and buzzer-beater play earned her the Most Valuable Player award given to only one player of the tournament of the team,

In addition to this award, Parris was named to the first team All-District along with Derriona Salter, and Tazia Williamson. Regular season honorable mentions include Kimora Locket and Kamil Washum.

First team all-district tournament team includes Lady Burros Derriona Salter, Tisha Parris  and Tazia Williamson; honorable mentions include Kimora Locket and Kamil Washum.

This year, TSSAA created a 4th Region for both girls and boys basketball moving the Burros out an 8 school district (AHS, CRHS, HWD, HLHS, GHS, MHS, and OHS) out of D11-3A,  Region 6 to a new district that includes 3 Williamson County teams, Brentwood, Centennial and Franklin.  Overton High School is the only MNPS team from their former district. Beating a team in a district championship game who, just last year our regional opponent makes the win especially sweet. Add Heand girls coach, Cherish Stringfield and Head Coach,  Rodney Thweatt who are District 11-4A Coaches of the Year and the success of this regular seasonis secured.

The boys Burro Basketball team played strong in the district championship game against Franklin High School at Brentwood. Unfortunately, they finished  as the runners-up in D11 District tournament.

The Franklin High School Admirals held on to small lead for most of second half beating the Burros 48-44. Caden Herron finished as top scorer with 19.

Finishing second, earns the Burros a bye and will play on Friday night after the girls game.  Caden Herron and Trey Johnson were named to the D11-4A All-District team that also included Cortez Graham as an honorable mention. Caden Herron, Trey Johnson and Cortez Graham were named to the All- Tournament team.

The Hillsboro Globe • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in