IBCP Extended Essay Symposium showcases year-long student projects

August 27, 2018, the Extended Essay and Reflective Project were presented in a symposium to Hillsboro High School faculty, students and community members.

image_pdfDownload as PDFimage_printPrint

“Personally, I want to be a doctor and somebody else’s life will be in my hands. I have to cater to certain religious beliefs and realize the importance those can play medically. ”

— Faith Dixon, IBDP student at Hillsboro High School

On August 28 the  Extended Essay and Reflective Projects were presented in a symposium which took place at Hillsboro High School library. The Hillsboro Globe attended this event to learn more about these academies and the role they play in our school.

The seniors in the International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme and Career Programme showcased their research projects. This project is a two-year research project that the students began early in their junior year.

The students in IBDP students were tasked with writing a 4,000-word essay that falls within the IB groups. The IBCP students had to write either a 3,000 word essay or a 1,500-word essay with a visual. The subject matter or theme of this particular project asked researchers to focus on an ethical dilemma.

Faith Dixon, a senior in the IBCP academy constructed her project on the theme of Religious Roles in The Medical Field.  “Personally, I want to be a doctor and somebody else’s life will be in my hands. I have to cater to certain religious beliefs and realize the importance those can play medically.” This project is a current ethical problem and one she is passionate about.

When referencing the extended essay project, Nemain Morgan-Curtis stated, “The extended essay project is a way for us to get feedback on our projects. We then use the feedback to write our abstracts which are submitted to IB.” This is why the symposium is held every year.

Another student in the IBDP programs said, “The key to having a good project is picking something you’re passionate about.”(Maggie Morgan) This project is one that the students put a lot of hard work into and part of what motivated them is the passion.

Every day, IB students are pushed to be better and academically excel at Hillsboro. This symposium is just one of the ways Hillsboro High School engages it’s faculty and students with the larger community.