Editorial: Please, my generation is pleading with you to work together to keep us safe.

Americas have a gun problem.  Americas arguing over gun issues has gone overboard and the contentious conversations and debates have led  absolutely no solutions. It is the lack progress that has my generation, the middle school, high school and college generation so very angry and demanding answers from anyone who makes a policy that puts forth an agenda that does does not value the safety of students first.

And we consider ourselves experts about this topic because for as long as we have been in school, we have heard the term “mass shooting at a school”. It has been too accepted into our language.

For example, the Florida school shooting, an adult killed 17 students and teachers but the reasons why are not known.

Suggestions are he was troubled. Honestly, the adults who talk about this as if being troubled somehow excuses his actions. My generation, my friends, and my classmates find no viable, reasonable excuse why anyone, troubled or not should own a  semiautomatic AR-15 rifle that could take our 17 people in 6.2 seconds.

More recently, the Maryland school shooting, involved a 17 year old male who shot two other students at Great Mills High School before he was stopped by a school resource officer. One of the two shot has now passed away after her parents made the difficult decision to stop the breathing tube keeping her alive.

What we as students are asking for is for adults for help to keep us safe – AT SCHOOl.

It should also be noted that the GHHS resource officer is also an active Swat team member and not all SROs are trained like SWAT teams to stop from going further in the threat.

This shooting just last week was the 17th school shooting doing the school day since January 1, 2018.

This is an ongoing gun violence and my friends, my generation really believes nothing is being done about it.

Policy makers stop talking and start acting to fix this situation. Work together to get it done.

We need more control and safety to protect every school out there because we want better headlines on the news every week and not have them related to school shootings happening every week. We need change and we need a lot of it fast and have it be effective.

Here is a list of some of the School Shootings in the past 3 years.

• Feb. 12, 2016 in Arizona
  • April 23, 2016 in Wisconsin
  • June 1, 2016 in California
  • June 8, 2016 in Massachusetts
  • Sept. 9, 2016 in Texas
  • Sept. 28, 2017 in South Carolina
  • April 10, 2017 in California
  • May 4, 2017 in Texas
  • Sept. 13, 2017 in New Mexico
  • January 20, 2017 in North Carolina
  • January 23, 2018 in Kentucky
  • Feb. 14, 2018 in Florida
  • March 2, 2018 in Michigan
  • March 7, 2018 in Alabama
  • March 15, 2018 in Alabama
  • March 20,2018 in Maryland

The Hillsboro Globe • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in